Skip to main content

Tiemoue Bakayoko is a Better Player than Nathaniel Chalobah, Insists Antonio Conte

Antonio Conte has been forced to defend his Chelsea transfer policy after replacing homegrown youngster Nathaniel Chalobah with the £40million signing of Tiemoue Bakayoko. The Blues have long been criticised for favouring big-name and big-money transfers over promoting their own youth talent, and the purchase of Bakayoko whilst selling Chalobah looks to be the latest example.

Chalobah, 22, played 15 games for Chelsea last season but struggled to hold down a regular place in the side before a £5m move to Watford this summer. Conte, however, insists that Bakayoko is a major upgrade given his experience of winning major honours and competing in the biggest competitions such as the Champions League.

‘I think, honestly, at this moment there is a great difference between the two players,’ Conte said.

‘You are talking about one player who has played with Monaco, who has maybe 100 appearances for that club.

‘He has played in the Champions League and has played regularly.

‘Try to understand the difference before you judge. People who do, do not understand the difference.’

Chelsea have also offloaded Nathan Ake to Bournemouth whilst loaning out Kurt Zouma to Stoke City, with £34m signing Antonio Rudiger replacing them in defence.

In a summer of big change at Stamford Bridge, Alvaro Morata has also come in for a club-record £60m from Real Madrid, with Diego Costa expected to make way.

Nemanja Matic could also make way in midfield following the addition of Bakyoko, with Manchester United thought to be leading the chase for the Serbian’s signature.

Credit: Metro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...