Skip to main content

Andreas Christensen to Return to Chelsea in the Summer - Monchengladbach Chief Max Eberl Admits

Borussia Monchengladbach sporting director Max Eberl has confirmed that Andreas Christensen will return to Chelsea at the end of the current season even though the Bundesliga side had previously expressed interest in securing the services of the promising centre-back on a permanent basis. Christensen made three appearances for Chelsea under former manager Jose Mourinho during the 2014-2015 campaign, having joined the Blues' academy from Brondby at the age of 16 as a prospect for the future.

The Blues later agreed to send him on loan to Monchengladbach on a two-season loan in order to help him to complete his development.

The 20-year-old has since impressed at the Bundesliga and during the last summer transfer window, reports in Spain claimed that even Barcelona had been attracted by his meteoric development.

However, the Monchengladbach chief has now admitted a defeat in their bid to secure his services on permanent after the club also confirmed the departure of coveted Mahmoud Dahoud to Borussia Dortmund.

"He must go back to Chelsea FC," Eberl said as quoted by Kicker. "Those are the two players [Dahoud and Christensen] that we have to replace in the summer.

John Terry's future at Stamford Bridge is uncertain but Chelsea have already recalled Nathan Ake from Bournemouth during the January transfer window and also have David Luiz, Gary Cahill, Cesar Azpilicueta and Kurt Zouma to cover the centre-back role.

Nevertheless, in January, Christensen's father said that his son won't return to Chelsea to be a mere back-up.

"As it is right now, he's at Chelsea again this summer," his father and adviser Sten Christensen told Danish publication BT. "It is important for Andreas that he plays. He will not return to Chelsea and sit on the bench. It is this transfer window that determines how Andreas's situation becomes in the summer. If Chelsea buy 10 defenders, it may well be that we need to do something else. But let's see."

Source: ibtimes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...

Chelsea Winger Suffers 'Multiple Fractures', Says Chelsea Antonio Conte

Chelsea's Pedro has suffered multiple fractures from his collision with David Ospina in China, according to boss Antonio Conte. Ahead of the Blues' next pre-season clash with Bayern Munich in Singapore, Conte confirmed Pedro must wear a protective mask after 10 days of rehabilitation. Conte said: "The situation was more serious. I hoped it would be only concussion. He had multiple fractures but I think with a mask in 10 days he could come back to work with us." The Spaniard was clattered by Arsenal goalkeeper Ospina during their 3-0 win over Arsenal in Beijing on Saturday and was sent home to England with concussion the next day. The 29-year-old had left the field at Bird's Nest Stadium groggy and hobbling, with visible cuts to his face and head. Conte had initially been hopeful Pedro could join them in Singapore for the next leg of their tour but the forward said on Instagram: "What a shock. Fortunately everything is okay." Pedro ...

Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United Need, Says Fortmer Tottenham Manager

The signing of a proven world-class forward such as Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United need to compete for the biggest prizes, former Tottenham manager Gerry Francis has said. Sanchez, 29, joined United on a four-and-a-half-year contract from Arsenal on Monday, 22 January, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving in the opposite direction in a straight-swap deal. "Sanchez is a real goal-scorer, he's talented and he's aggressive around the box and he makes things happen, he can pull teams through," he told Sky Sports.Francis described the Chilean forward as a match-winner who will aid United in their quest to win silverware by adding some much-needed potency to their attack. "It's [about] the present, you're looking to win trophies and looking to win competitions and, sometimes, you need to buy and have the finished article and Sanchez is certainly that. "It just makes them as a squad that much stronger. Certainly, a much bigger goal-threat with Sa...