Skip to main content

Brazilian Football Club Boa Esporte Under Fire for Signing Goalkeeper Who Murdered His Girlfriend

The 32-year-old Brazilian goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes de Souza was arrested in 2010 over the death of his girlfriend Eliza Samudio. During his trial, he confessed to ordering her murder to avoid paying child support. In a gruesome twist, Souza revealed that Samudio's body was then fed to his Rottweiler dogs.

After spending seven years in jail on murder charges, Bruno is set to return to the game. On 13 March, Series B club Boa Esporte signed a two-year deal with the controversial player, amidst protests from various women's groups and Souza's victim's family. He was sentenced to 22 years imprisonment but got released last month, after serving less than seven years, over a technicality.

"Women are outraged and so are the general public. It is as if he had gone unpunished," wrote Djamila Ribeiro, a political philosopher and feminist activist, on the UOL website. Protesters have also created online petitions demanding the club cancel the signing.

"We protest both against this contract and against the willingness of the team and its sponsors to have their images linked to feminicide," the Popular Feminist Front of Varginha wrote on its Facebook page. A woman-killer must not be allowed a life acclaimed by the media. Bruno is no longer just a goalkeeper; his notoriety reflects the ease with which a woman's life is forgotten in the interests of a sporting career."

Following the news, three club sponsors have already backed out and Boa Esporte's biggest sponsor, a holding company called Gois and Silva, warned that it would also pull out unless Souza is barred. 'We will meet with the management of the club to demand that they rethink their decision on recruiting Bruno,' the group said in a statement.

Despite the widespread criticism, club president Rone Moraes da Costa defended the signing. "[Boa Esporte] was not responsible for the release and freedom of the athlete, Bruno, but the club and the team, as a company, represented by human beings, endowed with justice and legality, can say that they tried to do justice by helping a human being," he said in a statement.

Criminal charges aside, many football fans are eager to see the goalie back in the game. Prior to his sentencing, Souza played for Flamengo and Atletico Mineiro and was also in line for Brazil's World Cup team in 2014.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...