Skip to main content

Chelsea Agree £500,000 Deal to Sign Rangers' Teenage Prodigy Billy Gilmour

Gilmour is touted alongside the likes of Celtic's Karamoko Dembele as being among the hottest young footballing prospects currently plying their trade north of the border after highlighting his significant potential with a series of impressive performances for Rangers' youth teams and the Scotland U16s and Chelsea have quickly put a deal in placeregarding the possible summer signing of Billy Gilmour.

Already handed a squad number and invited to train with the first team, the temporary promotion of his development squad head coach to the role of caretaker manager following last month's controversial departure of Mark Warburton nearly led to the prodigy being handed a place in the senior matchday squad for the first time.

Goal reported earlier this week that the Premier League leaders had seen off competition from Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Barcelona, with Gilmour, said to have been convinced of his next move during a trip to the Blues' Cobham training base, expected to complete a summer switch to Stamford Bride for a fee believed to be worth approximately £500,000.

Rangers managing director Stewart Robertson admits that an agreement has been reached if indeed Gilmour does decide to swap Glasgow for West London, with such a move ensuring that the club adequately protect themselves from a financial standpoint and receive more than a paltry compensation sum.

"We have got a position agreed if he was to go," Robertson was quoted as saying by The Mail when pushed on Chelsea's interest. "I won't tell you the number but there is a position agreed. It would be negligent of us not to have done that in terms of the governance of the club, but we'd rather not get the money and Billy stayed and went on to have a great career at Rangers. We need to protect our position and do the sensible thing because if he goes in the summer without a deal being agreed then he leaves only for a compensation amount.

"That would be a helluva lot less than if we had a fee agreed beforehand. We have protected our position on that side of things but we'd like Billy Gilmour to stay at the club. Everybody on the football side thinks he's a fantastic talent and he's still only 15. It would be great to see a boy like that develop and stay here to get a lot of game-time and go further."

Source: ibtimes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...