Skip to main content

Bayern Can Still Qualify for Champions League Semi Final - Ancelotti Insists

Carlo Ancelotti insists Bayern Munich can still turn around their Champions League quarterfinal tie at the Bernabeu despite their 2-1 first-leg defeat at home to Cristiano Ronaldo-inspired Real Madrid. Ronaldo netted his 100th European goal on Wednesday, scoring both goals in Real's 2-1 comeback win at Bayern, who had Javi Martinez sent off. The Bavarians now have it all to do for the return in Madrid next Tuesday. 

Bayern should have been 2-0 up at the break in Wednesday's first-leg, but Arturo Vidal, who headed the hosts into a first-half lead, skied a penalty. The first-leg turned after the break as Ronaldo equalised, then Real dominated Bayern with the numerical advantage and peppered the Bayern goal. 

Real deserved the win which Ronaldo sealed by reaching the 100-goal milestone on 77 minutes. It could have been a higher score and Real captain Sergio Ramos had the ball in the net late on, but the goal was disallowed. 

Ancelotti says the Germans still have a fighting chance in Madrid. 

"We don't have a big chance, but it's still a chance – we're still alive," said Ancelotti. "They could have killed it (the tie) by scoring another goal, but they didn't. 

"We had the game under control in the first-half, but we lost our efficiency after the break. "It made life hard when we went behind, but we still have a chance." 

Bayern have won only three of their 11 European matches at the Bernabeu – the last of which was on penalties in 2011/12 after it finished 3-3 on aggregate. Germany striker Thomas Mueller says the Bavarians have the necessary belief. 

"We don't need a footballing miracle. The belief is still strong, or we wouldn't be FC Bayern Munich," he said. 

"In my opinion, we didn't have the 100 percent conviction that we are the better team." 

Winger Arjen Robben says the Bavarians will have to raise their game having been outplayed in the second half. 

"We have to find the ten to fifteen percent in Madrid that we lacked this time," demanded Robben. 

"We gave them too much respect and had too little bite. 

"You have to pick your chin up, put the extra percent on it, and put in an outstanding performance in Madrid." 

Ancelotti hopes to have striker Robert Lewandowski, who missed the first leg with a bruised shoulder, and defender Mats Hummels, ankle, back for the return. 

"We have six days, we hope they will both be back," said the Italian. 

Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer kept Bayern in the tie with a string of saves and believes his team can book a sixth straight semifinals berth. 

"It's important to finish the game with 11 men," said Neuer, on his first game back after foot surgery. 

"We didn't have so much possession and we were missing our usual self-assurance. "It could have finished much higher, but we believe we can still do it. 

"We were the best team in the second half and it could have been two or three nil up."

Source / credit: supersport

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...

Chelsea Winger Suffers 'Multiple Fractures', Says Chelsea Antonio Conte

Chelsea's Pedro has suffered multiple fractures from his collision with David Ospina in China, according to boss Antonio Conte. Ahead of the Blues' next pre-season clash with Bayern Munich in Singapore, Conte confirmed Pedro must wear a protective mask after 10 days of rehabilitation. Conte said: "The situation was more serious. I hoped it would be only concussion. He had multiple fractures but I think with a mask in 10 days he could come back to work with us." The Spaniard was clattered by Arsenal goalkeeper Ospina during their 3-0 win over Arsenal in Beijing on Saturday and was sent home to England with concussion the next day. The 29-year-old had left the field at Bird's Nest Stadium groggy and hobbling, with visible cuts to his face and head. Conte had initially been hopeful Pedro could join them in Singapore for the next leg of their tour but the forward said on Instagram: "What a shock. Fortunately everything is okay." Pedro ...

Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United Need, Says Fortmer Tottenham Manager

The signing of a proven world-class forward such as Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United need to compete for the biggest prizes, former Tottenham manager Gerry Francis has said. Sanchez, 29, joined United on a four-and-a-half-year contract from Arsenal on Monday, 22 January, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving in the opposite direction in a straight-swap deal. "Sanchez is a real goal-scorer, he's talented and he's aggressive around the box and he makes things happen, he can pull teams through," he told Sky Sports.Francis described the Chilean forward as a match-winner who will aid United in their quest to win silverware by adding some much-needed potency to their attack. "It's [about] the present, you're looking to win trophies and looking to win competitions and, sometimes, you need to buy and have the finished article and Sanchez is certainly that. "It just makes them as a squad that much stronger. Certainly, a much bigger goal-threat with Sa...