Skip to main content

I Haven't Lost the Dressing Room - Wenger Responds to Lan Wright

Arsene Wenger insists he still retains the support of his Arsenal flops after they crashed to a dismal 3­-0 defeat at struggling Crystal Palace on Monday. Wenger's side suffered their heaviest league loss of a wretched season as goals from Andros Townsend, Yohan Cabaye and Luka Milivojevic blew away the lacklustre Gunners.

Arsenal were so limp for long periods at Selhurst Park that the club's legendary former striker Ian Wright claimed Wenger had lost the backing of his squad.

"At least I f*****g tried! That dressing room is lost. Brilliant stuff Palace," Wright tweeted.

Suffering a fourth successive away league defeat for the first time under Wenger, sixth placed Arsenal are seven points behind fourth placed Manchester City in the race to qualify for the Champions League via a top four finish.

Furious Arsenal fans chanted "Arsene Wenger we want you to go", while his players weren't spared either as "you're not fit to wear the shirt" rang around Selhurst Park.

But the Arsenal manager was adamant his underachieving stars remain on his side.

"I don't think my players didn't want it, but we lost duels in decisive moments and that's how games are decided at this level," Wenger said.

"I understand our fans are disappointed and we all are deeply tonight. It's very worrying and disappointing the way we lost the game.

"We prepared and everyone prepared well. It's difficult to explain just after the game.

"It's damaging, of course. On that front that is the most difficult for us. It has consequences on our chances to be in the top four. We are in a difficult position."

Wenger has yet to reveal if he will sign an extension to the contract that expires at the end of the season. But, asked if the uncertainty about his future is affecting the players, he said: "No, I don't think so.

"I'm not in the mood to speak about it. At the moment I pay more respect to the fact we had a disappointing result.

"Every defeat is a big worry. I've managed over 1,100 games for Arsenal and we're not used to that.

"Unfortunately it is like that and we have to respond very quickly and not accept it.

"I'm disappointed and determined to put things right. Tonight the worry is not me, it's the fact we lost a big game."

Suffering such an embarrassing result at the hands of his old rival Sam Allardyce only added to Wenger's woes and the Palace manager didn't waste the chance to take a few jabs at the Frenchman.

"We all know Arsenal are going through their worst spell for years," Allardyce said.

"Tactically the players were aware of how to beat Arsenal. The first thing was to defend and frustrate them.

"Arsenal have been weak defensively, they leave the centre­backs exposed. Everything worked perfectly for us."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...