Skip to main content

Leaicester City Duo Wes Morgan and Record Signing Islam Slimani to Miss Arsenal Clash

Premier League champions Leicester City will be without captain Wes Morgan and striker Islam Slimani for the trip to FA Cup finalists Arsenal on Wednesday [26 April]. Morgan limped off during the Champions League draw with Atletico Madrid last week with what has been diagnosed as a hamstring injury, while record signing Slimani remains sidelined by a groin problem. 

Neither will be involved against Arsenal, while holding midfielder Mampalys Mendy is out for the rest of the season having undergone surgery on an ankle problem. The former France Under-21 international has not played since the FA Cup defeat to Millwall in February primarily down to an ankle issue which will force him out for the remainder of the campaign.

"Unfortunately Wes Morgan won't make it [for Wednesday's game with Arsenal]," said Shakespeare according to Leicester's Twitter page. "I think he just overstretched his hamstring. It's not a full pull but we're just mindful of it. Islam Slimani has a groin strain. Unfortunately Papy Mendy has had an operation on his ankle. He will be out for the rest of the season I'm afraid."

Seven points from their final six league games will guarantee Leicester will beat the drop to the Championship following a run of just one defeat in their last seven fixtures. They travel to an Arsenal side fresh from reaching a record 20th FA Cup final and still chasing a place in next season's Champions League, and Shakespeare expects plenty of fight from Arsene Wenger's side.

"Yesterday [in the 2-1 extra time win over Manchester City] I saw the Arsenal players were fighting to win and they thoroughly deserved their victory," Shakespeare admitted. "I'm not sure what they'll do on Wednesday as they have good depth, but we have to focus on ourselves.

"Both teams need the points for different reasons and I'm sure it'll be a decent game. I'm not sure how many points survival will take. We don't know what's around the corner. We aren't safe. Even if we get there we've to keep trying to win. Competitiveness is vital in football. We need it to the end. We've managed to get a few recovery days now and from looking at training, I think the rest has done us good."

Source / credit: ibtimes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...

Chelsea Winger Suffers 'Multiple Fractures', Says Chelsea Antonio Conte

Chelsea's Pedro has suffered multiple fractures from his collision with David Ospina in China, according to boss Antonio Conte. Ahead of the Blues' next pre-season clash with Bayern Munich in Singapore, Conte confirmed Pedro must wear a protective mask after 10 days of rehabilitation. Conte said: "The situation was more serious. I hoped it would be only concussion. He had multiple fractures but I think with a mask in 10 days he could come back to work with us." The Spaniard was clattered by Arsenal goalkeeper Ospina during their 3-0 win over Arsenal in Beijing on Saturday and was sent home to England with concussion the next day. The 29-year-old had left the field at Bird's Nest Stadium groggy and hobbling, with visible cuts to his face and head. Conte had initially been hopeful Pedro could join them in Singapore for the next leg of their tour but the forward said on Instagram: "What a shock. Fortunately everything is okay." Pedro ...

Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United Need, Says Fortmer Tottenham Manager

The signing of a proven world-class forward such as Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United need to compete for the biggest prizes, former Tottenham manager Gerry Francis has said. Sanchez, 29, joined United on a four-and-a-half-year contract from Arsenal on Monday, 22 January, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving in the opposite direction in a straight-swap deal. "Sanchez is a real goal-scorer, he's talented and he's aggressive around the box and he makes things happen, he can pull teams through," he told Sky Sports.Francis described the Chilean forward as a match-winner who will aid United in their quest to win silverware by adding some much-needed potency to their attack. "It's [about] the present, you're looking to win trophies and looking to win competitions and, sometimes, you need to buy and have the finished article and Sanchez is certainly that. "It just makes them as a squad that much stronger. Certainly, a much bigger goal-threat with Sa...