Skip to main content

John Terry Responds to Widespread Criticism over Chelsea Farewell

Outgoing Chelsea captain John Terry "could not care less" about the criticism levelled at him for the manner of his substitution against Sunderland on Sunday (21 May) in his final game at Stamford Bridge. The ex-England skipper was substituted in the 26th minute - matching his shirt number - against the Black Cats and given a guard of honour by his teammates.

The act was pre-arranged between both clubs after Terry had asked permission from manager Antonio Conte prior to the game and the circumstances surrounding the act has drawn derision from the football community. Former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Garth Crooks were among those to attack the scripted mid-game distraction. "This is not Hollywood," he said. "This is a Premier League fixture. I am a bit uncomfortable with it to be honest with you."

But Terry, 36, is unconcerned by the detractors and does not want anything to muddle his bond with the Chelsea supporters. "I couldn't care less [about the criticism], I promise you,' Terry said, according to The Daily Mail. "All I care about is celebrating with my Chelsea fans.

"Me and them have a wonderful rapport and have done for 22 years. Nothing that people write or say can ever get in the way of that. If that's the way I want to go out, that's the way I go out because I've been here 22 years, I've won so many trophies — so if I wanted to play one minute and come off, I would have done.

"I wanted to play 26 minutes because the shirt number means a lot to me and the supporters so as long as they are happy — and I was over the moon with the reception — I promise you I could not care less."

Conte showed his sentimental side when he let Terry have his moment against Sunderland, but the Italian will almost certainly restore the Chelsea veteran to the substitutes' bench on Saturday 27 May when the newly crowned Premier League champions take on Arsenal in the FA Cup final at Wembley.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...