Skip to main content

Chelsea Legend Didier Drogba Scores and Assists on His Winning Debut for Phoenix Rising FC

Didier Drogba enjoyed a dream debut for United Soccer League side Phoenix Rising FC the club he is also a part owner of scoring and assisting as they beat Vancouver Whitecaps. Drogba, making his first appearance for Phoenix since his arrival in April, netted the opener and set up the winner in the side's 2-1 USL win over Vancouver on Saturday.

Wearing the No. 11 shirt and the captain's armband, the former Chelsea striker headed home Amadou Dia's cross in the 40th minute.

Then, following Marcos Bustos' equaliser from the penalty spot for Vancouver, the ex-Ivory Coast international teed up former Chelsea teammate Shaun Wright-Phillips for the game's decider in the 77th minute.

"Nothing different," Drogba said when asked about his debut compared to others. "The game is still the beautiful game and I want to enjoy it, and I was enjoying today, and that's the most important thing for me."

The 39-year-old, who was last playing for Major League Soccer side Montreal Impact, has missed five games since joining Phoenix as he attempted to regain his fitness.

"It took me five weeks to kind of get back in shape. I still need a few weeks to improve, but it's good to start at home," Drogba said.

Wright-Phillips added of Drogba: "Not only for me but for the players and the staff and the fans as well, I think it's very important to bring something different to the game. He also lifts up everybody and expects everyone to play to their potential, which is fantastic for the team and the club."

Phoenix head coach Patrice Carteron, also making his debut for the club, was pleased with Drogba's display.

"Most of the fans came to see him and he showed that he is still a great player," Carteron said. "I'm really happy for all of you who had the pleasure to see such a player."

Phoenix are one of a number of candidates with the aim of becoming an MLS franchise.

Credit: kwese.espn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...