Skip to main content

Barcelona Officials Arrive in London to Negotiate Philippe Coutinho £89m Transfer Amids Neymar's Doubt

Barcelona officials are in England to negotiate a deal for Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho, according to reports in Spain. The La Liga giants had a bid of £75million rejected for the Brazilian last week but the Catalans remain determined to sign Coutinho. Neymar, 25, is believed to be edging closer to a move to Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona have accelerated their interest in Coutinho as they fear losing the Brazil striker.

Spanish newspaper Sport lead with Coutinho on their front page on Tuesday morning and claim Barcelona representatives are in England to discuss an £89m transfer to the Nou Camp.

Jurgen Klopp maintains Coutinho is not for sale at any price but Barcelona’s hopes could hinge on the playmaker pushing for the move.

‘Everyone knows that Phil Coutinho is a key player for us. I know that he feels completely more than fine, comfortable, whatever, in Liverpool,’ the German said after Saturday’s pre-season win over Leicester.

‘He loves the club and the city – that’s clear. That he’s able to play like that tonight in a very difficult moment of the pre-season after all these sessions is good to see. That shows his big potential.’

Barcelona have spent just £40m this summer on the likes of Nelson Semedo and Gerard Deulofeu but those purchases are unlikely to appease the club’s fanbase, who watched on last season as rivals Real Madrid lifted a league and Champions League double.

Though Liverpool appear unlikely at this stage to give in to Bareclona’s advances, they could use the cash to fund a deal for RB Leipzig midfielder Naby Keita.

The Reds have had two bids rejected for the midfielder so far this summer and are refusing to meet the Bundesliga club’s £80m valuation.

Credit: Metro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...

Chelsea Winger Suffers 'Multiple Fractures', Says Chelsea Antonio Conte

Chelsea's Pedro has suffered multiple fractures from his collision with David Ospina in China, according to boss Antonio Conte. Ahead of the Blues' next pre-season clash with Bayern Munich in Singapore, Conte confirmed Pedro must wear a protective mask after 10 days of rehabilitation. Conte said: "The situation was more serious. I hoped it would be only concussion. He had multiple fractures but I think with a mask in 10 days he could come back to work with us." The Spaniard was clattered by Arsenal goalkeeper Ospina during their 3-0 win over Arsenal in Beijing on Saturday and was sent home to England with concussion the next day. The 29-year-old had left the field at Bird's Nest Stadium groggy and hobbling, with visible cuts to his face and head. Conte had initially been hopeful Pedro could join them in Singapore for the next leg of their tour but the forward said on Instagram: "What a shock. Fortunately everything is okay." Pedro ...

Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United Need, Says Fortmer Tottenham Manager

The signing of a proven world-class forward such as Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United need to compete for the biggest prizes, former Tottenham manager Gerry Francis has said. Sanchez, 29, joined United on a four-and-a-half-year contract from Arsenal on Monday, 22 January, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving in the opposite direction in a straight-swap deal. "Sanchez is a real goal-scorer, he's talented and he's aggressive around the box and he makes things happen, he can pull teams through," he told Sky Sports.Francis described the Chilean forward as a match-winner who will aid United in their quest to win silverware by adding some much-needed potency to their attack. "It's [about] the present, you're looking to win trophies and looking to win competitions and, sometimes, you need to buy and have the finished article and Sanchez is certainly that. "It just makes them as a squad that much stronger. Certainly, a much bigger goal-threat with Sa...