Skip to main content

Batshuayi Issues a Warning to Morata Though Chelsea's £70m Man Looks Sharp

The Belgium international netted against Bayern Munich on Tuesday but his Spanish rival impressed during his half-hour cameo in Singapore. The National Stadium in Singapore could hardly be considered a second home for Alvaro Morata but his Chelsea career nonetheless began in familiar surroundings - on the bench.

The man who continually made such an impact as a substitute for Real Madrid last season had to wait until the 63rd minute before being introduced into Tuesday's International Champions Cup clash with Bayern Munich.

It's doubtful that he ever bore witness to such dreadful defending during his two separate stints at the Santiago Bernabeu, or indeed his two-season spell with Juventus. Chelsea were 3-0 down by the half-hour mark, with Thomas Muller netting a classy double after Rafinha had opened the scoring with bouncing drive from distance that Thibaut Courtois must still be wondering how he failed to reach.

Antonio Conte's men only trailed by two goals by the time Chelsea's most expensive player finally entered the action, with Marcos Alonso having lifted the Blues' beleaguered spirits with a sweet strike just before the interval. 

Morata did not inspire a turnaround but his arrival undeniably coincided with Chelsea's best spell in the match. He looked sharp right from the moment he came on in place of Jeremie Boga, winning a throw-in deep in Bayern territory with his first couple of touches.
Then, there were a couple of nice shows of his fancy footwork and deceptive pace, with the Spain international setting up a dangerous attack by skipping past Milos Pantovic in the middle of the park before drawing a foul from the same player after a surge up the left wing.

Morata also challenged for the corner that dropped so invitingly for Michy Batshuayi to convert with just five minutes remaining but there was to be no dramatic last-gasp equaliser for £70 million man. Instead, there will be a modicum of satisfaction with his match sharpness but also the realisation that Batshuayi could yet offer spirited competition for the coveted lone central striking berth in Conte's starting line-up.

However, he did not move to Stamford Bridge to swap one seat on the bench for another and he did enough to suggest in his cameo in Singapore that he will prove a mobile and effective outlet for Chelsea this season.

He is not young in football terms and the 24-year-old himself acknowledged earlier this year, "I have to take off now."

Morata finally has the right coach and the right club to help him do just that. His days on the bench are coming to an end.

Credit: Goal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...

Chelsea Winger Suffers 'Multiple Fractures', Says Chelsea Antonio Conte

Chelsea's Pedro has suffered multiple fractures from his collision with David Ospina in China, according to boss Antonio Conte. Ahead of the Blues' next pre-season clash with Bayern Munich in Singapore, Conte confirmed Pedro must wear a protective mask after 10 days of rehabilitation. Conte said: "The situation was more serious. I hoped it would be only concussion. He had multiple fractures but I think with a mask in 10 days he could come back to work with us." The Spaniard was clattered by Arsenal goalkeeper Ospina during their 3-0 win over Arsenal in Beijing on Saturday and was sent home to England with concussion the next day. The 29-year-old had left the field at Bird's Nest Stadium groggy and hobbling, with visible cuts to his face and head. Conte had initially been hopeful Pedro could join them in Singapore for the next leg of their tour but the forward said on Instagram: "What a shock. Fortunately everything is okay." Pedro ...

Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United Need, Says Fortmer Tottenham Manager

The signing of a proven world-class forward such as Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United need to compete for the biggest prizes, former Tottenham manager Gerry Francis has said. Sanchez, 29, joined United on a four-and-a-half-year contract from Arsenal on Monday, 22 January, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving in the opposite direction in a straight-swap deal. "Sanchez is a real goal-scorer, he's talented and he's aggressive around the box and he makes things happen, he can pull teams through," he told Sky Sports.Francis described the Chilean forward as a match-winner who will aid United in their quest to win silverware by adding some much-needed potency to their attack. "It's [about] the present, you're looking to win trophies and looking to win competitions and, sometimes, you need to buy and have the finished article and Sanchez is certainly that. "It just makes them as a squad that much stronger. Certainly, a much bigger goal-threat with Sa...