Skip to main content

Incoming Tiemoue Bakayoko will not Play for Chelsea until September as £35m Deal is to be COmpleted

Chelsea are braced to secure the signing of Tiemoue Bakayoko this week even though the midfielder is expected to miss the start of the season. The France international is due to become the Blues' second major signing of the summer but there are major concerns that the knee surgery he underwent at the end of last season will delay the launch of his career at Stamford Bridge.

The procedure had reportedly risked the move not going through at all, but The Daily Telegraphreport Bakayoko will complete his switch from Monaco before the end of this week. The extent of the injury and talks over payment structure had delayed the announcement but a deal should be unveiled before the Premier League champions leave for Asia on their pre-season tour.

Whether the 22-year-old is among the squad which travels for Chelsea's three games in China and Singapore, which sees them face Arsenal,Bayern Munich and Inter Milan, remains to be seen. Bakayoko has been working alone in order to improve his fitness however he is some way behind his new teammates who returned to pre-season training on Monday [10 July].

Manager Antonio Conte expects that Bakayoko won't be available until the second month of the season and as well as missing the club's three friendlies in July he has all-but been ruled out of the first four games of the campaign. Chelsea face Arsenal in the Community Shield on 6 August, the season's annual curtain-raiser, before the defence of their title begins against Burnley, Tottenham Hotspur and Everton.

Despite the risk around signing Bakayoko, who according to Transfermarkt has missed 28 matches due to various fitness problems in the last three seasons, Chelsea are desperate to add depth to their midfield with Nemanja Matic keen to leave. The Serbian has been training away from the main group since the squad assembled this week and wants to join Manchester United. Inter Milan are also interested in a deal which could be worth £40m.

Credit: IBTimes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...

Chelsea Winger Suffers 'Multiple Fractures', Says Chelsea Antonio Conte

Chelsea's Pedro has suffered multiple fractures from his collision with David Ospina in China, according to boss Antonio Conte. Ahead of the Blues' next pre-season clash with Bayern Munich in Singapore, Conte confirmed Pedro must wear a protective mask after 10 days of rehabilitation. Conte said: "The situation was more serious. I hoped it would be only concussion. He had multiple fractures but I think with a mask in 10 days he could come back to work with us." The Spaniard was clattered by Arsenal goalkeeper Ospina during their 3-0 win over Arsenal in Beijing on Saturday and was sent home to England with concussion the next day. The 29-year-old had left the field at Bird's Nest Stadium groggy and hobbling, with visible cuts to his face and head. Conte had initially been hopeful Pedro could join them in Singapore for the next leg of their tour but the forward said on Instagram: "What a shock. Fortunately everything is okay." Pedro ...

Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United Need, Says Fortmer Tottenham Manager

The signing of a proven world-class forward such as Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United need to compete for the biggest prizes, former Tottenham manager Gerry Francis has said. Sanchez, 29, joined United on a four-and-a-half-year contract from Arsenal on Monday, 22 January, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving in the opposite direction in a straight-swap deal. "Sanchez is a real goal-scorer, he's talented and he's aggressive around the box and he makes things happen, he can pull teams through," he told Sky Sports.Francis described the Chilean forward as a match-winner who will aid United in their quest to win silverware by adding some much-needed potency to their attack. "It's [about] the present, you're looking to win trophies and looking to win competitions and, sometimes, you need to buy and have the finished article and Sanchez is certainly that. "It just makes them as a squad that much stronger. Certainly, a much bigger goal-threat with Sa...