Skip to main content

Midfielder to Have more Playing Time Next Season - Chelsea Manager Antonio Conte Promises

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has told Cesc Fabregas he wants him to stay at the club next season and that he will give him more game time than in 2016/17. The Spain international’s future has been the subject of some speculation in recent months, following just 29 Premier League appearances last season, only 13 of which were starts. Conte, however, was pleased with Fabregas’ contribution as Chelsea won the Premier League title and reached the FA Cup final, and wants the 30-year-old to stick around this summer.

Fabregas had been linked with the likes of AC Milan after playing a reduced role for the Blues last term, but showing all his old class whenever he did get onto the pitch.

That wasn’t lost on Conte, it would seem, with the Italian reportedly moving to reassure Fabregas over his future after further competition in midfield arrived in the form of Tiemoue Bakayoko.

The Frenchman joins in a £40million deal from Monaco and is likely to be first choice alongside N’Golo Kante in midfield next season.

However, it is Nemanja Matic rather than Fabregas who is expected to make way at Stamford Bridge, with Conte holding talks to reassure Fabregas over his future, according to the London Evening Standard.

It remains to be seen if the former Arsenal man will be won over, but Conte seemingly plans to use him more often next term as he prepares for added fixtures after getting back into the Champions League.

Conte has been keen to bolster his squad over this transfer window, having relied upon a small group last season due to the lack of European football.

With Nathaniel Chalobah already leaving for Watford and Matic likely to follow as Manchester United, Inter Milan and Juventus show an interest, Conte will be pinning his hopes on Fabregas as a third option in central midfield.

Credit: Metro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...