Skip to main content

Rüdiger and Musonda Join Chelsea Training as Cristián Cuevas Replaces Kenedy

A few bits of good news from Chelsea training over in Singapore from Wednesday, as the traveling squad were bolstered by one new player, one semi-new player, and the full return of Charly Musonda Jr from injury.

Musonda had been limited to individual fitness training so far this pre-season after a rather untimely injury kept him out of all three friendlies, but he’s been working himself to his limit and it looks like it’s now paid off as he was spotted training with the rest of the team on Wednesday. Earlier, the Evening Standard’s Simon Johnson shared a photo of just how much effort young Charly Jr had been putting in.

Joining Musonda and the rest of the squad are two new arrivals, Antonio Rüdiger and, wait for it, Cristián Cuevas.
No, I’m not making that up. Cristián “future expert-level trivia answer” Cuevas has joined the Chelsea pre-season tour, presumably because he was the only (fit) player at Cobham these days (with Baba Rahman not expected back until October at the earliest) who could ostensibly be classed as a left wing-back.

In case you’re like everyone else and don’t know what Cuevas looks like, he’s the dude in the red shoes. The 22-year-old Chile youth international had spent the last two seasons out on loan at Belgian club STVV, who were relegated last summer from the Jupiler League to the second division.

Since Kenedy’s dismissal from camp (and Pedro’s return to London due to injury), Chelsea had been operating with just one left wing-back in the squad. When Marcos Alonso had exhausted all his reserves of energy halfway through the second half against Bayern Munich on Tuesday, it was Victor Moses who had to fill in on the opposite flank, to mixed reviews.

Could we see some pre-season action for Cuevas on Saturday against Inter? I’d say that’s a fairly likely possibility. Hopefully both Musonda and Rüdiger will get a run-out as well.

Credit: weaintgotnohistory

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...

Chelsea Winger Suffers 'Multiple Fractures', Says Chelsea Antonio Conte

Chelsea's Pedro has suffered multiple fractures from his collision with David Ospina in China, according to boss Antonio Conte. Ahead of the Blues' next pre-season clash with Bayern Munich in Singapore, Conte confirmed Pedro must wear a protective mask after 10 days of rehabilitation. Conte said: "The situation was more serious. I hoped it would be only concussion. He had multiple fractures but I think with a mask in 10 days he could come back to work with us." The Spaniard was clattered by Arsenal goalkeeper Ospina during their 3-0 win over Arsenal in Beijing on Saturday and was sent home to England with concussion the next day. The 29-year-old had left the field at Bird's Nest Stadium groggy and hobbling, with visible cuts to his face and head. Conte had initially been hopeful Pedro could join them in Singapore for the next leg of their tour but the forward said on Instagram: "What a shock. Fortunately everything is okay." Pedro ...

Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United Need, Says Fortmer Tottenham Manager

The signing of a proven world-class forward such as Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United need to compete for the biggest prizes, former Tottenham manager Gerry Francis has said. Sanchez, 29, joined United on a four-and-a-half-year contract from Arsenal on Monday, 22 January, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving in the opposite direction in a straight-swap deal. "Sanchez is a real goal-scorer, he's talented and he's aggressive around the box and he makes things happen, he can pull teams through," he told Sky Sports.Francis described the Chilean forward as a match-winner who will aid United in their quest to win silverware by adding some much-needed potency to their attack. "It's [about] the present, you're looking to win trophies and looking to win competitions and, sometimes, you need to buy and have the finished article and Sanchez is certainly that. "It just makes them as a squad that much stronger. Certainly, a much bigger goal-threat with Sa...