Skip to main content

Antonio Conte Promotes Ethan Ampadu to First-team for Chelsea's Clash against Nottingham Forest

The defender, who can also play as a defensive midfielder, has been promoted to the first-team after impressing for the youth team in Premier League 2 and the Uefa Youth Cup. Ampadu joined the Blues from Exeter City during the summer transfer window on a free transfer, but the League Two side are guaranteed a compensation that will be decided by a tribunal. The 17-year-old became Exeter's youngest-ever player at 15 years, 10 months and 26 days and was offered scholarship forms by Newcastle United.

The versatile defensive player also attracted interest from the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool andManchester City. But he chose to move to Stanford Bridge despite his father Kwame Ampadu being the coach of the U18 setup at Arsenal's Hale End academy.

Antonio Conte has heaped praise on the defender and confirmed that he will be part of the squad that takes on Forest. A number of other young players alongside the more experienced Eden Hazard are expected to be involved in the third round clash.

"Ampadu is a young player but I think he has good quality," Conte said, as quoted by the Guardian. "He has good prospects to become a Chelsea player. He's strong physically, [has] good technique and personality."

"Yes, I think we have to continue to work with him and to try and improve him, to bring him to the next step. But for sure he has good prospects at Chelsea and will be in the squad [against Forest]."

The Italian manager also praised Ampadu's achievements in the international arena after he was called up by Chris Coleman as part of the Wales training squad for their World Cup qualifying game against Slovakia. The Chelsea youngster has been capped at England Under-16 level and is also eligible to play for Ghana and Republic Ireland, but looks to be edging towards playing for Wales.

"You must be proud of this [achievement]," Conte said. "But, for sure, he has to work a lot to deserve another call-up to the national team."

"We must be pleased because this player is a Chelsea player and now it's important to work very well with him and try and improve his weaknesses. Yes, but he's a young player. I'm sure he's a good prospect for Chelsea."

Credit - IBTimes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...