Skip to main content

Arsenal Legend Explains why Morata and Lukaku Have Hit the Ground Running

Arsenal legend Ian Wright believes Alvaro Morata and Romelu Lukaku’s respective starts for Chelsea and Manchester United are being fuelled by past disappointments. The duo were both involved in big-money transfers this summer and have hit the ground running for their new clubs with six goals each in the Premier League so far.

Both arrived in slightly different circumstances, with Morata joining Chelsea after a year largely spent on the bench for Real Madrid, while Lukaku moved to United after starring for Everton and seeking a step up to a bigger club.

Wright believes that each back-story has contributed to them relishing their new roles this season, as they are finally being given the kind of position as leading man that they’ve been craving.
‘Both know they are loved, know they are the main man, and know they are in the right place at last,’ Wright wrote in The Sun.

‘Morata came from Real Madrid having never really had a chance to establish himself at the Bernabeu.

‘To be fair, with the likes of Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale, it was always going to be a pretty thankless task.

‘Yet even with those three and others ahead of him, he was clearly frustrated at being a back-up, so the move to England was a godsend.

‘Lukaku also made no secret of his frustration, even though he was the star at Everton.

‘He didn’t feel the club’s ambitions matched his own. Lukaku was desperate for Champions League football and despite everyone thinking it would be Chelsea who provided it, United and Jose are the ideal fit.’

In a surprise twist, United ended up signing Lukaku despite strong links with Morata prior to switching their focus, while Chelsea in turn had looked the early favourites to snap up the Belgian before opting for the Spaniard as a backup.

Pundits seemed to cast some doubt over both players as ideal for making the step up for either club, but Wright says they’ve already proven their critics wrong this season.

‘It’s ironic to think now that, when both signed for such huge fees, they arrived with a hefty dose of scepticism. There were plenty who were not convinced they could cut it at the top level,’ the former England striker added.

‘Yes, they’d done so at times, but could they do it on a regular basis? Well I think we’ve been given a fairly resounding answer already.’

Credit - Metro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...