Skip to main content

Chelsea Manager Antonio Conte Warns Youngsters He will only Select Players base on Merit

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has warned the club’s youngsters that they must prove they’re good enough to contribute to his first-team if they are to get playing time for the senior side. The Blues take on Nottingham Forest in the Carabao Cup this evening, with Conte expected to rotate his side and include young players such as Kenedy and Charly Musonda.

However, Conte insists he won’t go lightly on inexperienced players if they are competing for first-team minutes, as he doesn’t believe age is an important factor in terms of affecting his team selection.

Chelsea have often been criticised for failing to trust their academy talent, but Conte insists his thinking is only about how his players, regardless of age, can help the team.

‘I think if you are good enough to play with a great team, you play,’ the Italian explained.

‘Every coach wants to win. I don’t care if one player is a young player or an old player. If a player, an old player, 36-years-old, makes me happy and helps me to win, I pick him. It’s the same if a player, a young player, 16-years-old, helps me to win, I’m ready to do this also.’

Conte also defended his record with Chelsea’s youth last season, following summer departures of the likes of Nathan Ake and Nathaniel Chalobah after failing to cement regular places in the side.

‘Last season, if you remember very well, Chalobah had the chance to play,’ he said.

‘Don’t forget last season we won the league. Don’t forget last season our midfielders were (Nemanja) Matic, (N’Golo) Kante and (Cesc) Fabregas. You have to consider all these components.

‘Chalobah, last season, was the fourth midfielder. He had the chance to play. That is normal.

‘If you ask to play regularly with a great club, then you must deserve to play. And to deserve to take Kante’s or Matic’s or Fabregas’ place. If you show you deserve to play and can be better than these players, I’m ready to do this.’

Source - Metro


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...