Skip to main content

Barcelona Defender Gerard Pique 'Could Quit' Spain, Relationship with Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos 'Broken'

Barcelona star Gerard Pique could reportedly quit the national team amid growing tension generated in Spain following his vocal support for the referendum on Catalan independence held on Sunday 1 October. AS says that sources from the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) are not ruling out Pique "withdrawing from international duty before Friday" after pointing out that his relationship with Real Madrid star and national team captain Sergio Ramos is now "definitely broken".

Meanwhile, Marca claims Pique's place in the national team "hangs in the balance" with the atmosphere in the Spanish camp having become "unbreathable" ahead of the two final World Cup qualifiers against Albania and Israel.

Pique has been whistled at and jeered by the Spanish supporters at homes games in recent years.

However, in those cases it was believed that criticism towards the Barcelona star came mostly from Real Madrid fans due to his frequent controversial comments made against Los Blancos.

However, this time the tension has moved to another level after the Barcelona centre-back publicly declared himself in favour of a referendum on Catalan independence that is considered illegal – as Spain's democratic constitution of 1978 states "the indissoluble unity of the Spanish nation".

Spain sent the national police and Guardia Civil to Catalonia on Sunday to prevent a vote which ended in chaos and violence.

The Barcelona board decided to play Sunday's game against Las Palmas behind closed doors in order to express their "disagreement" over La Liga's decision not to officially postpone the game.

Pique, speaking after the game, criticised the Spanish government and the police before admitting that he was ready to retire from international football if his support for Catalonia's independence referendum is deemed a problem.

"It was the hardest game to play. The board tried to suspend the match, but it wasn't possible. We debated it and the club decided we should play. It has been a tough day, the images of the police and the Guardia Civil speak for themselves. I am and I feel Catalan, today more than ever. I am proud of the behaviour of the people of Catalonia. Voting is a right that must be defended," the Barcelona star said.

"I know that there are people in Spain who condemn what has happened and believe in democracy. If the manager or any director of the Federation thinks that I am a problem for the national team, I will step aside before the World Cup."

Spanish boss Julen Lopetegui met with the Pique on Monday to discuss his commitment to the national team and together they decided the Barcelona star will remain in the camp.

"I don't go in and out of ideas. Gerard's behaviour is exceptional," Lopetegui said to COPE on Monday night. "I wanted to know how he was and I've seen him willing and motivated. He is well and motivated. If it were not so, he wouldn't be with me."

However, AS says that sources at the Spanish football federation believe that his continuity in the national team remains up in the air ahead of Friday's clash with Albania.

Many Spanish fans urged the Barcelona star to quit during the Monday's training session in Madrid, whistling and insulting him before Lopetegui was forced to stop the open-door workout after only 23 minutes on the field.

But AS claims that it is not only the supporters who are unhappy with Pique, but also some members of the dressing room, with his relationship with Real Madrid star Ramos broken.

"We will see if he resists the pressure and does not withdraw from the camp. Ramos already warned him last week that his tweets did not help to appease the environment and Pique not only ignored his advice, but has gone further (as the Barcelona star continued tweeting against the Spanish government on Monday)," sources from the RFEF said according to AS.

"Although he is a great player, at this moment, he subtracts more than add to the national team. His presence in Alicante [against Albania] can be unbearable for the national team. That's not positive for Spain in their hope to beat Albania, something which will be decisive to qualify for the World Cup. His resignation before Friday can't be rule out."

Source - IBTimes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...