Skip to main content

Former Arsenal Keeper Wojciech Szczesny Criticises Coaching Staff at the Emirate, Claims He Did Not Improve at Arsenal

Wojciech Szczesny has criticised Arsenal's coaching staff for failing to improve his game on a tactical level after he broke into the senior team and believes he has improved more during his short spell in Italy. The Polish stopper spent two seasons on loan at AS Roma before sealing a permanent move to Juventus to be Gianluigi Buffon's understudy earlier this summer, and he has revealed that his game has taken massive strides forward since his move to the Serie A.

Szczesny has blamed the level of coaching for his stagnation in north London suggesting that coaches in Italy are more tactical compared to their counterparts in England. The 27-year-old joined Arsenal in 2006 and broke into the first-team in 2010. He spent a considerable amount of time as the number two before being promoted as the first choice stopper.

"Honestly, I couldn't say from a technical standpoint that I improved in any way from when I became first choice at Arsenal until the day I left for Roma," Szczesny told The Independent. "However, in the two-and-a-half years since I came to Italy I've improved massively, which is thanks to the coaches and the way they work."

"It's not about improving when you play, it's every day in training you have to work on every aspect of your game and that's something I've really enjoyed. I think in general, the coaches in Italy are much more tactical, that's just how the league works.

"At Arsenal you'd just prepare physically for it but here you watch films analysing a specific opponent before the game and afterwards we'll watch again to see what worked and what didn't," the Polish stopper explained.

"I enjoyed working with some great coaches at Arsenal, Roma and here, but the goalkeeping school in Italy is very different - it's very technical and pays more attention to the details."

The arrival of Petr Cech from Chelsea saw him leave for Roma, where he impressed during back-to-back spells and earned himself a move to the Italian champions. He believes it was the right move in terms of progress in his career.

Source - IBTimes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...