Skip to main content

'No Chance of Winning Ballon d'Or as Far as Ronaldo and Messi are still Playing' - Eden Hazard

So far, it has been a good week for Hazard. He was named on the 2017 Ballon d'Or 30-man shortlist on Monday before he and his brother, Thorgan, both scored for Belgium in their 4-0 win against Cyprus in their final World Cup Qualifier on Tuesday.

While Hazard does not expect to win the Ballon d'Or, he has identified what he needs to do to lift the illustrious award in the future but admits he is not targeting it in his current plans.

"I have no chance [of winning]. I think a lot of players are better than me but I am happy to be in the last 30 players. I know I am on this list because I play for Chelsea and because I play with great team-mates. They help me every week to be on this list," he added. he told Soccer Saturday.

"I don't know if in the future I can have the chance to win the Ballon d'Or but it is not my objective now. My objective is to play and to enjoy myself on the pitch.

"For the last 10 years, it has always been Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, but Neymar is coming and a couple of others so we will see when Messi and Ronaldo stop playing, maybe we have a better chance but for the moment, it is not in my head.

"We have more chance to win the Ballon d'Or if we win everything. I think this year, Ronaldo deserved it because he won with Portugal, he won the Champions League, he won La Liga. If one day I want to win, I just have to win everything. Nice and simple!

"After the game [against Cyprus], it was something good. Me and Thorgan were just happy, not just to score, but also to play together. It is something good for me, for my family and for him."

The inclusion on the Ballon d'Or shortlist marks a return to fitness for Hazard, who was sidelined for the last three months with an ankle injury, and says he is ready to be named in the starting XI each week.

"I'm good with my ankle. I tried to do everything for me to be ready. I've played a couple of games now. I think I am ready to start every game now," Hazard said.

"I missed three months which is not something good but at least you start to understand that football is not so easy. You need to work if you want to arrive at the top so I did three months of rehab. It is not something good but it is something that I learnt.

"As a player, you just want to play and you don't want to be on the bench. I think the club did very well with me. As soon as they saw that I was ready to play, I played and I had a few games on the bench too. After a long injury, you can't go back into the team and play 90 minutes in every game so you need to go step by step."

Source - Skysports

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...