Skip to main content

Roma Included Kevin Strootman and Stephan El Shaarawy in Champions League Squad to Face Chelsea

AS Roma have named both Kevin Strootman and Stephan El Shaarawy in their 19-man travelling squad for Wednesday night's Champions League trip to Chelsea, handing head coach Eusebio Di Francesco a timely and sizable double fitness boost.

Long-serving midfielder Strootman missed the 1-0 defeat to in-form Serie A leaders Napoli on Saturday and previously withdrew from the Netherlands squad for thefinal pair of 2018 World Cup qualifiers against Belarus and Sweden. This came after he lasted just 30 minutes of his side's victory over 10-man AC Milan on 1 October.

Roma's official medical report said that the injury-plagued former Manchester United target was suffering from the after-effects of bruising in his left thigh and would be "monitored on a day-by-day basis" after beginning a rehabilitation programme.

Winger El Shaarawy featured for 78 minutes against Milan and, having initially been sidelined for Italy's disappointing draw with Macedonia in Torino, was introduced as a very late second-half substitute during a slender win over Albania that saw the lacklustre Azzurri secure their status as top seeds for Tuesday's play-off draw.

Examinations conducted upon his return to Rome revealed evidence of a "muscular oedema in his right adductor longus muscle" that kept El Shaarawy out of the squad to face Napoli. The 24-year-old was also considered as day-to-day and, like Strootman, has now been deemed fit enough to feature against Chelsea in a Group C clash at Stamford Bridge.

"Midfielder Kevin Strootman is among Roma's 19-man travelling party for Wednesday's Champions League clash against Chelsea," the Giallorossi confirmed via their official website.

"Strootman returns to availability after missing the weekend defeat against Napoli, having suffered an injury prior to the international break. Stephan El Shaarawy also returns to the squad after missing the weekend match, while [right-back] Rick Karsdorp also travels for the first time in the Champions League."

While Strootman and El Shaarawy have both travelled to London, centre-back Kostas Manolas is absent after sustaining a grade one strain of his left thigh muscle against Napoli. Forwards Patrik Schick and Gregoire Defrel are dealing with their own thigh issues, while Brazilian left-back Emerson Palmieri ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on the final day of the 2016-17 season and later underwent arthroscopic surgery.

As for Chelsea, Antonio Conte has confirmed that prolific summer signing Alvaro Morata is in contention to play against Roma after returning to training following a hamstring injury. However, midfield duo N'Golo Kante (hamstring) and Danny Drinkwater (calf) both remain sidelined along with latest casualty Victor Moses (also hamstring).

Credit - IBTimes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...

Chelsea Winger Suffers 'Multiple Fractures', Says Chelsea Antonio Conte

Chelsea's Pedro has suffered multiple fractures from his collision with David Ospina in China, according to boss Antonio Conte. Ahead of the Blues' next pre-season clash with Bayern Munich in Singapore, Conte confirmed Pedro must wear a protective mask after 10 days of rehabilitation. Conte said: "The situation was more serious. I hoped it would be only concussion. He had multiple fractures but I think with a mask in 10 days he could come back to work with us." The Spaniard was clattered by Arsenal goalkeeper Ospina during their 3-0 win over Arsenal in Beijing on Saturday and was sent home to England with concussion the next day. The 29-year-old had left the field at Bird's Nest Stadium groggy and hobbling, with visible cuts to his face and head. Conte had initially been hopeful Pedro could join them in Singapore for the next leg of their tour but the forward said on Instagram: "What a shock. Fortunately everything is okay." Pedro ...

Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United Need, Says Fortmer Tottenham Manager

The signing of a proven world-class forward such as Alexis Sanchez is just what Manchester United need to compete for the biggest prizes, former Tottenham manager Gerry Francis has said. Sanchez, 29, joined United on a four-and-a-half-year contract from Arsenal on Monday, 22 January, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan moving in the opposite direction in a straight-swap deal. "Sanchez is a real goal-scorer, he's talented and he's aggressive around the box and he makes things happen, he can pull teams through," he told Sky Sports.Francis described the Chilean forward as a match-winner who will aid United in their quest to win silverware by adding some much-needed potency to their attack. "It's [about] the present, you're looking to win trophies and looking to win competitions and, sometimes, you need to buy and have the finished article and Sanchez is certainly that. "It just makes them as a squad that much stronger. Certainly, a much bigger goal-threat with Sa...