Skip to main content

Stan Kroenke Defends Board's Decision to Extend Arsene Wenger's Contract, Claims It's the Right Decision

Arsenal majority stakeholder Stan Kroenke has explained his reasons for retaining Arsene Wenger last season, when he was given a two-year extension, despite the Gunners ending up fifth in the league, their lowest finish in over two decades. The fans were up in arms over the decision but Kroenke decided to persist with him, saying the easy call would have been to sack the Frenchman.

The Premier League's longest-serving manager was under a lot of scrutiny at the Emirates Stadium, with questions being raised about whether he remains the right man to lead the club, sparking a civil war between the Gunners' supporters.

While they finished 18 points behind league winners Chelsea, the club ended the campaign by winning a record 13th FA Cup title after beating Antonio Conte's side at Wembley. The victory made Wenger the most successful manager in the competition's history.

He has not started the 2017/18 season very well though, with the Gunners taking only one point from their first four games away from home. However, they turned a corner last weekend, securing their first win away from the Emirates with a 5-2 thumping of Everton at Goodison Park.

Speaking ahead of the club's AGM, Kroenke believes that they have made the right decision by looking at the long-term rather than taking a short-term perspective.

"Arsene is strong, he's focused and I think he showed through all that," Kroenke told the Mirror. "We always evaluate, and it's fair to look at all the factors involved. But when you make decisions like that, you are weighing lots of different factors, but you hope that you weigh them correctly and come out with the right decision. I think we did.

"It's easy to change coaches and people do it all the time. But the hardest thing is to replicate success and remain competitive. You have to approach it with clear-headedness, calmness, thinking for the long-term rather than the short-term. An easy answer is it's easy to do something. It's harder not to do something.

"Arsenal is a great club it's been here for 130 years. We talked earlier about what a great club it is. When you have someone that passionate, when you get one who has really demonstrated that level of excellence, a good character, do you ask, 'Hey, we should get rid of him or we should make a change?'"

Credit - IBTimes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juventus Manager Allegri Signs Contract Extension Untill 2020

Massimiliano Allegri has signed a new contract with Juventus, keeping him with the Serie A side until 2020, the Turin outfit have confirmed. The 49-year-old will remain at Juventus Stadium for another three seasons, having guided the Old Lady to a third successive domestic double. Allegri helped Juve win the Serie A and Copa Italia titles this season, and guided them to the Champions League final. Since taking over at Juventus Stadium in 2014, he has won the domestic double each season and has a 69 per cent winning rate. The former midfielder had been linked with a move to Arsenal before Arsene Wenger agreed a new two-year deal, but will now remain in Turin until the end of the 2019-20 season. In a statement, Juventus said: "Juventus is pleased to announce that Massimiliano Allegri has signed a contract renewal at the club until 2020. "Today's agreement extends a working relationship that has seen the Bianconeri consolidate their position as Italy's...

Barcelona Summer Signing Ousmane Dembele Suffers Fresh Injury Blow

Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele is set to be on the sidelines for around "three to four weeks" after suffering a fresh hamstring injury during the Catalan's 4-2 victory over Real Sociedad on Sunday. The 20-year-old winger moved to the Nou Camp from Borussia Dortmund during the summer transfer window in deal worth £93.4m  plus €40m in add-ons. The Frenchman spent more than three months on the sidelines as a result before returning to action during Barcelona's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo in La Liga on 4 January.Earlier on September Dembele was indeed forced to undergo a surgery after rupturing the "tendon in his femoral bicep in his left thigh" during a clash with Getafe when he was only making his third appearance for the club. Dembele has since made three more appearances, playing 25 minutes during the win over Real Sociedad after replacing Paulinho in the second half. But the Frenchman will miss the upcoming games after Barcelona revealed that th...

Roma Midfielder Signs New Deal with Italian Club

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has signed a new four-year contract with the Serie A club. The 29-year-old Belgium international had been linked with Manchester United in Italian media, while Chelsea were also reported to be interested. This was coupled by suggestions that Nainggolan was growing impatient with the numerous delays in receiving a contract proposal from the capital club. However, the 29-year-old has put any doubts about his future to bed by extending his contract until 2021, in a deal that will see him earn €4.5 million per season, including bonuses, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. "I think I have demonstrated that this is what I always wanted," Nainggolan said. "I'm very happy that the club and I can continue our adventure and move forward together." Nainggolan has played 161 times for Roma since joining from Cagliari in 2014. Nainggolan becomes the third senior central midfielder to extend their contract at Roma th...